Warm, cozy soup perfect for crisp mountain nights, with a sneaky impressive soft boiled egg for that perfect ramen richness.
Whenever I’m camping I like to plan at least one ~fun~ meal. One unexpected little element to provide a little bit of excitement for my tired self and friends after what was undoubtedly a long day of driving or hiking or fighting with tent poles to get camp set up. For a fancy-fun take on a backpacking staple, I soft boil a few eggs ahead of time to throw into our instant ramen. I also made a quick peanut sauce to provide a little extra protein, fat, and flavor.
Start by cooking some veggies in a little bit of oil in a pot over a small flame on the side of your fire. I used red peppers, onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
When the veggies are soft, add the seasoning packets.
Add some water and let it come to a boil over the fire, turning the pot every now and then to make sure nothing is burning.
Meanwhile, unwrap the bricks of ramen and carefully peel the soft boiled egg. Place them in whatever container you’re going to eat out of.
Pour the broth and veggies over the noodles and let them sit for a few minutes to warm up the egg and rehydrate the noodles. Add a scoop or two of peanut sauce and you’re ready to go.
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- 1 package mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups water
- 3 packages instant ramen
- 3 soft boiled eggs for serving
- Heat the oil in a pot. Add the veggies and cook for 10-15 minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle the seasoning packets over the veggies and stir to coat.
- Pour in the water and let come to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Place your noodle bricks and peeled soft boiled eggs in your serving dishes. Pour the broth and veggies over top. Let sit for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the noodles.
- Top with a scoop of peanut sauce and enjoy.
Camping Ramen Peanut Sauce
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sriracha or other hot sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or honey
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- water until you reach your desired consistency
- Mix everything together. Pack in a leak proof tupperware in the cooler.