Wooowowow are you in for a treat. This one surprised even me at how well it worked! Camping baked brie. Baked brie on a camping stove.Creamy, melty brie with sweet blackberry jam all wrapped up in a buttery, flaky crust.
I usually stick with the classics when camping. Snacks are trail mix and bags of chips. Meals are simple foil packets thrown into the coals of the fire. But sometimes it’s fun to change it up. That’s where camping baked brie comes in. Incredibly simple, yet incredibly impressive. Three ingredients, about 20 minutes and you’ve got a fun treat to fancy up your night in nature.
I honestly still kind of can’t believe that this worked. It started as a joke. My friend and I were at the grocery store prepping for a weekend in the mountains. We make baked brie pretty regularly for movie nights and parties (in the pre-covid days). She jokingly suggested we make a baked brie while camping. I said we should actually try. We threw a wheel of brie into the cart and decided to see what happened.
Start by lightly oiling a sheet of foil. Unroll the crescent rolls and put half down on the foil. Spread that with a thick layer of fruit jam (I used blackberry). Plop the brie on top and lay the other half of the crescent rolls down over top. Roll up the edges to seal. Wrap the foil around, then add another layer of foil to the outside.
Put it in a pot over a low flame for about 10 minutes. Carefully, carefully, flip it over. Cook for about 10 minutes on the other side. Remove it from the pan and let it cool a little before unwrapping the foil.
What emerges is a beautifully golden, toasty little bomb of everything good. Crack through the flaky crust and melty, oozy, creamy brie swirls together with sweet blackberry jam. Scoop it up with crackers. Sit back in your chair and watch the sun go down. Laugh with your friends. Enjoy the fresh air and the smell of the fire and the crisp night air. Find the joy where you can.
Camping Baked Brie
- 1 wheel brie
- 1 package crescent rolls
- 3 tbsp blackberry jam
- 1 tbsp oil
- Spread oil on a double layer of foil.
- Lay one half on the crescent rolls onto the foil.
- Spread the jam over the crescent rolls. Place the brie on top.
- Cover with the other half of the crescent rolls. Fold the sides up around the brie and seal tightly.
- Wrap in the foil and place in a pot over a low flame. After about 10 minutes, carefully flip. Leave over the heat for about 10 more minutes.
- Very carefully turn the packet out of the pot. Let cool for a minute before unwrapping the foil.
- Enjoy with crackers, apple slices, or crusty bread.
- I used blackberry jam but strawberry, fig, or raspberry would also be great.
- This might also work with a campfire, just place the foil packet in the coals off to the side of the flames.